Top 5 Tips to help you stay healthy over Christmas
Let's take steps to help make your entry into the 2016 a more positive one; free of extra pounds!
1. Exercise: Remember to keep up with your exercise routine. Just because you were out and about the night before is no excuse to sleep in and forego your workout. Staying active will help you feel better. My favourite hangover cure used to be a run on the beach and swim in the surf. Great way to sweat out those toxins! Try and exercise outside as much as possible and take advantage of the bright sunny summer days. If a run is too much, how about calling a friend who was out with you the night before and take a brisk walk around the park.
Make it a quick workout (under 10 min.) and stay active with us!
2. Relaxation: As much as Christmas is a lovely time to catch up with all your friends and family, remember to take some time out for YOU. Take a few moments in the day to practice meditation or stress-relieving breathing techniques. We’re conditioned to think that Christmas is all about giving, so how about taking the time to give to yourself as well this year. Don’t get stressed out over Christmas present buying. Plan your shopping in advance, write a list of all the presents you need to buy and avoid the frenzied crowds.
3. Nutrition: Remember to make healthy choices this Christmas. It’s easy to get carried away with all the puddings and chocolates and shortbread and party food, but before over-indulging remember how it’s going to make you feel the next day. Remember to eat plenty of vegetables, fruits and whole grains. If you do like enjoying Christmas treats, limit your portion size.
4. Water: Drink plenty of water to keep you hydrated. If you do drink alcohol, remember to alternate every alcoholic drink with a glass of water and please don’t drink on an empty stomach. Best to have a healthy snack before you go to the party as it will also prevent you from snacking on unhealthy party food. Dandelion tea is a great herbal tea to drink throughout the days when you know you’re going to be out and about, partying and drinking alcohol at night, as it helps to detoxify the liver.
5. Sleep: Get plenty of rest and aim for 7-8 hours of sleep every night. It’s not going to make or break your life if you don’t go to EVERY party. How about having a night in? Create a relaxing spa experience at home, snuggle up on the couch with a good book or your favourite Christmas movie and get to bed early.
Source: Sam Sample, relaxation expert.