Chicken Cacciatore alla Marco
By Marco Girgenti
YIELD: 2 Servings
* 2 boneless. skinless chicken breasts
* Sea (or coarse) salt and freshly ground pepper
* 2 slices lean turkey bacon,(or lean cold cuts) chopped
* 1/4 medium onion
* 4 ounces cremini mushrooms (about 2 cups, sliced)
* 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
* 1/4 cup dry red wine (optional)
* 1/3 cup pitted nioise or kalamata olives, plus 1 tablespoon brine from the jar
In a medium frying pan, over medium heat, cook the chicken breasts for 5 minutes on each side, then remove from heat.
As the chicken cooks, add the turkey bacon, onion, mushrooms and rosemary to a food processor and pulse it until it’s chopped, being mindful not to liquefy it. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the vegetable mixture plus 1/4 teaspoon salt; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7-8 minutes.
Puree tomatoes in the food processor. If you are using the wine, add it to the skillet and boil it uncovered, until almost completely reduced, about 2 – 3 minutes. Add the pureed tomatoes and increase heat to return to a boil. Reduce the heat, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
Add the chicken breasts to the mixture and cook until done (about 20-25 minutes.)
Stir in the olives and brine and season with salt and pepper.
Serve the chicken with the sauce spooned over it.