Ultima’s Ultimate Muffins
By Doug Fulford
YIELD: 24 muffins
3 cups low fat bran muffin mix from bulk barn OR
3 cups Brown Rice Flour
(GFF recreated these substituting 3 cups Brown Rice Flour for the mix, and the nutritional information provided below reflects that.)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ginger
½ cup slivered almonds
½ cup pecans
½ cup brazil nuts
½ cup walnuts
½ cup macadamia nuts
½ cup dates
½ cup diced figs
½ cup black currants
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup dried cherries
1 cup Thompson raisins
1 cup jumbo flame raisins
2 pints fresh blueberries (1 pint = 1 ½ cups)
¼ pound butter (1/2 cup)
250 ml low fat buttermilk*
• Add nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger to muffin mix and mix thoroughly.
• Place nuts ½ cup at a time in a coffee grinder and grind into fine powder and then add to muffin mix and mix thoroughly with clean hands or a mixing spoon.
• Add balance of fruit ingredients and mix thoroughly.
• Melt ¼ lb. of butter thoroughly and add to the three beaten eggs using whisk or mixer.
• Add butter and egg mix to your contents and using large wooden spoon continue to mix contents until the eggs and butter have completely covered all the ingredients.
• Add low fat buttermilk and use large wooden spoon to thoroughly mix all contents until completely covered – you may find that you will not quite use all the buttermilk.
• Place in muffin tin lined with paper muffin cups, and bake12 at a time.
• Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick, wooden skewer, or spaghetti piece inserted in the center, comes out clean.
*GFF buttermilk tip: To create your own buttermilk, add 1 tbsp. of vinegar to 1 cup milk and let it sit as you prepare the ingredients for the recipe. We used the total amount of buttermilk called for in the recipe.
OPTION: substitute ½ or all of the milk with kefir for added nutrition and a boost of probiotic power.
Recipe submitted by Doug Fulford of ULTIMA HEALTH AND FITNESS